7 Reasons to be Proud of Being a "Night Owl"

7 Reasons to be Proud of Being a "Night Owl"

It is very important to get enough amount of sleep every day, around seven to nine hours, for the average adults. In order to stay healthy, we must fulfill this right amount of sleeping hours. But if your lifestyle can allow you to wake up a little bit later, you might feel inclined to stay up a little bit later, too.

While there has been a lot of admiration for being a morning person, such as, health benefits, however, there hasn't been much to tout the perks of being someone who works best at night. Behold, the seven reasons to be proud of being a night owl.

1. YOU might have a higher IQ.

Satoshi Kanazawa is an evolutionary psychologist based in the United Kingdom, who is currently a reader in Management at the London School of Economics and Political Science. This evolutionary scientist’s works use evolutionary psychology to analyze social sciences such as sociology, economics, and anthropology. He found a connection between intelligence and adaptive behaviors that are "evolutionarily novel" -- meaning they deviate from what our ancestors did. He wrote that "routine nocturnal activities were probably rare in the ancestral environment and are thus evolutionarily novel." The study concluded that "More intelligent children are more likely to grow up to be nocturnal adults who go to bed late and wake up late on both weekdays and weekends.

Thus far, while night owls may have a higher IQ, those who wake up in the morning may be in a better position for success. This kind of person may be have a healthier life and higher performance in day activities.

2. YOU might have “Night Strength”.

Night owls may have a physical advantage over early birds, who sleep earlier and wake up earlier. Researchers at the University of Alberta tested the leg strength of nine morning people and nine night people and found that the early birds' strength remained consistent throughout the day, but night owls' strength peaked to higher levels at night. This fact proven that night owls had secret super power hidden inside of them and only shown when the night come.

Olle Lagerquist, the co-author of the study, told CNN that the reason for this phenomenon may be because at around 9 o’clock in the evening, Night owls show the increment on motor cortex and spinal cord excitability.

3. YOU appear to be more creative.

Many researchers from the Catholic University of the Sacred Heart in Milan found that Night owls are more likely to generate creative and original solutions to many problems, either personal or working problems, than morning people.

Marina Giampietro, the lead author of this study, stated that night owls might be more creative because staying up late may encourage the development of a non-conventional spirit and of the ability to find alternative and original solutions.

4. YOU might score higher on General Intelligence tests.

Researchers at the University of Madrid released a study last year that looked at the sleeping patterns of around 1,000 teens in a particular country. The study found that night owls scored higher on inductive reasons tests, which is related to general intelligence, than their morning bird counterparts. But, the same study also found that morning birds get better grades. So, not all of the night owls throughout the world will get this kind of advantage.

5. YOU are in good company, after all, President of the United States is a night owl.

In 2009, 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama told Newsweek that he likes to stay up late and says that even when he’s done working, he still stays up late.

He stated, “I'm a night owl. My usual day is: I work out in the morning; I get to the office around 9, 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.; work till about 6:30 p.m.; have dinner with the family, hang out with the kids and put them to bed about 8:30 p.m. And then I'll probably read briefing papers or do paperwork or write stuff until about 11:30 p.m., and then I usually have about a half hour to read before I go to bed, about midnight, 12:30 a.m.. However, sometimes I stay up a little later.”

6. Night owls can remain mentally alert for more hours after waking up than early birds.

A 2009 study by the University of Liege in Belgium compared 15 “extreme night owls” and 16 “extreme early birds” and asked the participants to stay on their normal sleeping schedules. Researchers measured their brain activity after participants first woke up, and then once again 10.5 hours later. The study found that participants scored similarly on the first test, but that 10.5 hours after waking up, the early birds had lower activity in brain regions linked to attention and the circadian master clock, compared to night owls. This research’s facts led to the benefit of the night owl to be more mentally alert for more hours after waking up, contrasted from the early birds.

7. “The Night Owl Society” dedicated for the freelancers who stay up at night.

Von Glitschka, an illustrative designer, who created "The Night Owl Society" after working for 12 years as a "creative hired gun" for agencies across the globe. At first, he noticed that he and many other designers like him work so much better at night. He said "I enjoy the solace and the uninterrupted aspect of working late at night," in an article to The Huffington Post. "I know many other creatives like me, and this was an excuse to share our work online through a Facebook group and recognize each other."

The society's platform, sums up on Glitschka’s website, stated that: “Our nocturnal tribe soars at midnight. We are the night owls; whose pixels, presses, polygons and projects flourish best under obsidian skies.”

Fellow night owls can sign up for a membership in the Night Owl Society, and upon being inducted, will receive a "Night Owl Creative Pack", which includes a sketch pad, a set of keyboard characters and a membership certificate among other things. They will also get access to "The Night Owl Society" Facebook page.

Name: Calvin Karunia Wijaya

Bachelor In Business Administration in International Business, Nilai University. 

E-mail: pakr_calvin@yahoo.co.id

Source: The Huffington Post (Renee Jacques), 2015